Saturday, July 30, 2011

The First Night



Today was very difficult, but I got my hands on my soldier!  As they wheeled him out of the ambulance, I kissed the top of his head before they whisked him off the ICU.

Seeing my strong, confident, full of life young man lying there hooked up to all of those machines was heartbreaking.  Moms are supposed to fix everything.  Moms kiss boo boos, chase away the boogey man, and scare monsters from out of the closet and from under the bed.  But I can't fix this.

When we got Derek to ICU, I got to hold his hand and talk to him.  He is still intubated, critical and semi-conscious.  He opens his eyes and responds to a point, but he is not fully awake.  Krystina and I teased him, which is our way, and we got a lot of smiles out of him!  If we didn't tease him, Derek would think something was wrong, so we did what we do best - told him how much we loved him, held his hands, and teased him to death.  He reacted by smiling and crinkling his eyes.  That was wonderful.  Krystina told him that her Mom wanted to "kick his ass" and he smiled.

But the road ahead will be long and hard.  Harder than first imagined, because he condition is worse than first thought.  Infection has resulted in further loss of muscle and bone.  His recovery is going to be a harder climb, but if anyone can do it, Derek can.

And as Krystina posted tonight:
So just saw Derek not too long ago and honestly was the hardest thing I've had to do, but this is life. Life is all about pushing you to your limits, to test you. And ya know what, this is his && my life now. I'm not gonna leave him. I'm gonna be here through it all no matter how difficult the road from now on is gonna be. I love him and that's all that matters. Derek Tra McConnell you are mine♥

They are blessed to have found each other.

Derek's siblings were also able to visit with him tonight, and it was not easy on them.  But they are with him for this journey, and they will help him recover.

Navy Corpsman Kylee Thompson was here with me the whole time, and she was a wonderful support!  Thank you, Kylee!

It was also strange tonight seeing my ex after 12 years.  But this is not about what happened between us.  This is about helping Derek.  Whatever happened is done.  We have to concentrate on getting Derek over this and back to where he was both emotionally and physically.  The physical part is going to be a long, hard road.

The journey of our lives is just beginning, but Derek has a wonderful support staff.  Thank you for all of your prayers, love, encouragement and love.  It truly means a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment