Thursday, February 9, 2012

Walking With My Wounded Warrior - FINALLY!!

This is too exciting not to shout right at the beginning.  Forget building up suspense....  suspense has been building for over six months.  So, here you go..... the big news is:

DEREK WALKED!!!
The above is the actual first step!

When we went to the Matc today, we expected for Derek to have the prosthetic for the left hip.   It is a bucket that straps around his waist.  See picture below:




We expected Mike to strap on the two prosthetics and have Derek stand in the tilt table again, but he offered to allow him to attempt walking between the parallel bars.  Derek was a little hesitant because his regular PT is on vacation this week, but because my Dad is visiting, he decided to try it. 

He stood for a few minutes to get his balance and then tentatively took his first step.  The facility pups were there to lend support and a "barking" section.

We didn't expect it to be today, and we didn't have the iPad to record it.  Krystina and I used our phone and camera, and we are trying to upload it.  Facebook is the first stop on the uploading train. 

In addition to this awesome news, we are waiting for Dr. Kim to come and discuss medication changes so we can get Derek on the road to better pain management and outpatient!  3-5 weeks away, Dr. Kim guesses.  She came yesterday while Derek was asleep, so Krystina and I aired our concerns with her.  Before any changes can be made, she will discuss it with Derek and see if he is okay with it.

He continues on the low fat/low cholesterol diet to reduce the fatty liver.  He hates it, but oh well.  Suck it up, soldier.  We want you with us for years to come, not dropping of a heart attack after coming so far.

This is a huge milestone in our climb to glory.  Walking is a big step, excuse the pun.  A lot farther to go, but we will make it!  Climb to glory!  All the way.  To the top.  I'll meet you there with balloons and streamers!!

5 comments:

  1. You SHOULD be shouting it from the rooftops and not making any apologies for it. This is HUGE news! Congratulations, Derek! Way to go! We knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoooo! That is awesome news Derek. God bless you! I have such confidence in you that you will climb all the way to the top and soon. This is wonderful news. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go, Derek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Always lifting up prayer!
    Psalms 40:5, 11, 13 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. (11) Withhold not thou thy tender mercies from me, O LORD: let thy lovingkindness and thy truth continually preserve me. (13) Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me: O LORD, make haste to help me.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still so excited about this!
    These words are always so very comforting! Praying!
    John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. Derek, every time I feel like that there's something I can't do, I think of you and I get the strength and the will to do it. I'm very proud of you. Your will and desire to walk again are an inspiration to me. Like every Sunday, I light a candle for you and pray for you and your family. Climb to Glory!

    ReplyDelete